Site Map Dashboard
IN THIS ARTICLE
Deactivated vs Unlisted
The Site Map Dashboard is master control for your site navigation. It's divided by blue bars which represent each of your main content sections, and below the section names are individual pages and sub-pages - along with event categories and sub-categories. Some sites also have business categories and sub-categories.
The top of the Site Map includes a link to the Page Templates, along with controls to Collapse or Expand the page. When collapsed, only the main sections appear.
You can order the pages as you wish, even moving them from section to section. If you need to change the order of the sections, or if you want to add or remove sections, you'll need some assistance from the Saffire support team.
Tools > Site Settings > Site Map
Note: Be sure to click on the Site Map heading to view the full dashboard. The dropdown menu does not display deactivated pages... yet it does show unlisted pages.
To open the section settings, hover over the PowerDots on the far right side of the blue bar.
- Collapse / Expand - only the blue heading bar is visible when the section is collapsed. TIP: you can also collapse/expand a section by clicking the title in the blue bar.
- Edit Section - allows you to change the section name, and decide if you want to repeat that navigation item in its own drop down menu
- Hide / Show Inactive pages - toggles visibility of any pages which are currently deactivated
- Add a New Page - creates a new page within the section. A button at the bottom of the section does the same.
- Add a New Link - inserts a link into the section's dropdown navigation on your site. This is convenient for linking off to another site, or if you need a secondary access point for a page created in another section. A button at the bottom of the section does the same.
The list of names below each section heading are the pages, categories and links which appear as dropdown options in your website navigation.
If a title is blue, that means it's active and visible on your site. If the title is gray, that means it's inactive and only accessible within Spark.
Hover over the page title to:
- Edit - this opens the page and allows you to make whatever changes you wish
- Copy - this duplicates the page with all of it's content intact. The new page will appear at the bottom of the section and will have 'copy' appended to the name. You can change that when you edit the page.
- Unlist / List - Listed pages are fully accessible and appear in the main site navigation dropdown menus. Unlisted pages are removed from the menus, but they're still accessible by anyone with the direct URL. By default, all new pages are unlisted so that you can build & test them before making them public. Unlisted pages are also useful for targeted marketing campaigns. You can unlist/list multiple pages by using the checkboxes to the left of each title and the Actions dropdown menu above of all the sections.
- Deactivate / Activate - Active pages are fully accessible and appear in the main site navigation dropdown menus. Deactivated pages are only accessible within Spark. Any links going to deactivated pages will result in '404 - not found' errors, unless the URL has been redirected to another page. You can deactivate/activate multiple pages by using the checkboxes to the left of each title and the Actions dropdown menu above of all the sections.
- Delete - This only appears after a page has been deactivated. Note: Deleting a page is final - there is not an 'undo' option.
To quickly change the status of multiple pages, click the checkbox next to each title you want to modify then use the Actions menu above all the sections. You can unlist/list or deactivate/activate.
There is also a checkbox in each blue section heading which allows you to select every title within that section.
Deactivated vs Unlisted
It's easy to confuse these, but they are different. Deactivated pages are only accessible through Spark. Unlisted pages are still publicly accessible, yet the links don't appear in your site navigation. The unlisting option is available when you edit a page - look in the Tools panel on the right side of the page, or within the page settings. For more detailed information, take a look at this article: Unlisted vs Deactivated vs Password Protected.
To change the order of the pages within a section, or move a page from one section to another:
- Click & hold the up/down icon on the left of each page title
- Drag the page to where you want it to appear in your navigation
- When you see the shadow in the right location, release your mouse. With that, you just re-ordered your navigation!
- The + (plus) sign next to a title will expand that particular page or category to see the sub-pages or sub-categories beneath it. When expanded, click the - (minus) sign to collapse it again.
- The right green icon is the indent tool. It will move a page to a sub-page of the one immediately above it. This will create an additional popout in your site navigation.
The left green icon is the un-indent tool, which reverses the function of the indent tool.
- The square & arrow icon will open any active page in a new browser tab.
- The pushpin icon will add a page to the orange PINNED PAGES tab on the left edge of Spark. This tab shows a custom list of pages you've pinned, as well as recently visited pages (which can be pinned within the list). It's a great way to quickly access pages you use often.
At the top of the dashboard there's a key identifying each symbol you might see next to a page title.
Hide Key will minimize the key, if you prefer.
The key will remain hidden every time you revisit the Site Map until you choose to unhide the key.
Static Link is a link to another page or website. You can add event or business pages to your drop down, duplicate a page that "lives" under another section, or link to an external website.
Category Link is a special link to one of your business or event categories. Adding this type of link requires help from the Saffire support team.
Password Protected page means you have set up that page to require a password in order to view it.
Unlisted Page means that this page is not visible in the navigation. If the page title is blue but has an Unlisted icon next to it, that means it is active and you can share the URL of that page (via email or social media), but it can't be found in the navigation. Another reason you might use this feature is to share a page with an internal group like staff, board, or vendors. Or, you might use an unlisted page as a landing page for a special offer that requires limited access.
Member Only Page is a feature for clients which require membership in order to access special parts of their site. If the Member Only feature is selected, it means that a user must be logged in to the member portal to access the page. This option may not be available on your site.
The blue box on the right side of the screen provides fast access to several frequently-needed tools and special pages which don't appear in the Site Map.
The dark blue buttons will open the corresponding tool or page for editing. The square & arrow icon will open a page in a new browser tab for previewing.
You can minimize each section of the subpanel by clicking the lighter-blue bar above the buttons. The sections which are minimized will remain hidden every time you revisit the Site Map until you choose to unhide them.