Site Map Dashboard
IN THIS ARTICLE
The Site Map Dashboard is master control for your site navigation. It's divided by blue bars which represent each of your main content sections, and below the section names are individual pages and sub-pages - along with event categories and sub-categories. Some sites also have business categories and sub-categories.
The top of the Site Map includes a link to the Page Templates, along with controls to Collapse or Expand the page. When collapsed, only the main sections appear.
You can order the pages as you wish, even moving them from section to section. If you need to change the order of the sections, or if you want to add or remove sections, you'll need some assistance from the Saffire support team.
Spark location: Site Map
(be sure to click on the heading... it's the only way to view the full dashboard)
To open the section settings, hover over the PowerDots on the far right side of the blue bar.
- Collapse / Expand - only the blue heading bar is visible when the section is collapsed. TIP: you can also collapse/expand a section by clicking the title in the blue bar.
- Edit Section - allows you to change the section name, and decide if you want to repeat that navigation item in its own drop down menu
- Hide / Show Inactive pages - toggles visibility of any pages which are currently deactivated
- Add a New Page - creates a new page within the section. A button at the bottom of the section does the same.
- Add a New Link - inserts a link into the section's dropdown navigation on your site. This is convenient for linking off to another site, or if you need a secondary access point for a page created in another section. A button at the bottom of the section does the same.
The list of names below each section heading are the pages, categories and links which appear as dropdown options in your website navigation.
If a title is blue, that means it's active and visible on your site. If the title is gray, that means it's inactive and only accessible within Spark.
Hover over the page title to:
- Edit - this opens the page and allows you to make whatever changes you wish
- Copy - this duplicates the page with all of it's content intact. The new page will appear at the bottom of the section and will have 'copy' appended to the name. You can change that when you edit the page.
- Deactivate/Activate - Active pages are fully accessible and appear in the main site navigation dropdown menus. Deactivated pages are only accessible within Spark. Any links going to deactivated pages will result in '404 - not found' errors, unless the URL has been redirected to another page.
- Delete - This only appears after a page has been deactivated.
Note: Deleting a page is final - there is not an 'undo' option.
Deactivated vs Unlisted
It's easy to confuse these, but they are different. Deactivated pages are only accessible through Spark. Unlisted pages are still publicly accessible, yet the links don't appear in your site navigation. The unlisting option is available from the Settings when you edit a page. For more detailed information, take a look at this article: Unlisted vs Deactivated vs Password Protected.
If you want to change the order of the pages in your navigation, or move a page from one section to another:
- Click & hold the up/down icon at the extreme left of each page title
- Drag the page to where you want it to appear in your navigation
- When you see the shadow in the right location, release your mouse. With that, you just re-ordered your navigation!
- Click the + (plus) sign to expand that particular page or category to see the sub-pages or sub-categories beneath it. When expanded, click the - (minus) sign to collapse it again
- The right green icon is the indent tool. It will move a page to a sub-page of the one immediately above it. This will create an additional popout in your site navigation.
The left green icon is the un-indent tool, which reverses the function of the indent tool.
- The pushpin icon will add a page to the orange PINNED PAGES tab on the left edge of Spark. This tab shows a custom list of pages you've pinned, as well as recently visited pages (which can be pinned within the list). It's a great way to quickly access pages you use often.
At the bottom of the dashboard there's a key identifying each symbol you might see next to a page title.
Unlisted Page means that this page is not visible in the navigation. If the page title is blue but has an Unlisted icon next to it, that means it is active and you can share the URL of that page (via email or social media), but it can't be found in the navigation. Another reason you might use this feature is to share a page with an internal group like staff, board, or vendors. Or, you might use an unlisted page as a landing page for a special offer that requires limited access.
When you create a new page, it's automatically marked as Unlisted so that it isn't visible on your website until you're ready to make it public. This allows you to preview the page as you build it to ensure it looks 'just right' before you publish it.
Member Only Page is a feature for clients which require membership in order to access special parts of their site. If the Member Only feature is selected, it means that a user must be logged in to the member portal to access the page. This option may not be available on your site.
Static Link is a link to another page or website. You can add event or business pages to your drop down, duplicate a page that "lives" under another section, or link to an external website.
Category Link is a special link to one of your business or event categories. Adding this type of link requires help from the Saffire support team.
Password Protected page means you have set up that page to require a password in order to view it.